What is Girls Rock Camp Madison?
Girls Rock Camp Madison (GRC) is a week-long summer day camp for girls ages 8 to 18 focusing on building positive self-esteem through music. No musical experience is necessary to join with the exception of violin, because the camp begins with the basics of playing and performing in a rock band (or punk band, or funk band, or jazz band, or whatever band!). Campers who play VIOLIN during the year can learn how to rock out on violin in a band! You must have your own violin at camp. The violin is not for beginning violinists.
- instrument lessons and band practice
- a variety of workshops including songwriting, hip hop dance, yoga, zine writing, games, and building positive self esteem
- professional recording studio experience
- and a final showcase, where each band will play for friends, family and hundreds of screaming fans!
How Much Does it Cost?
Tuition for each session in 2021 is $300. Financial Aid is available. Please click here for more information about Financial Aid.
In order to secure a space at Girls Rock Camp Madison, you are required to pay a $100 down payment to register unless you are applying for financial aid. The balance of tuition is due June 1st, 2021. If tuition is not paid in full by June 1st, the $100 down payment is forfeited and the space will go to a waiting list camper.
If you cancel your camper’s registration for Girls Rock Camp Madison between the time of registration and 31 days before the first day of the camp session your child is registered for, the $100 down payment is forfeited. If you cancel registration less than 31 days before the first day of the camp session your child is registered for, the entire tuition payment is forfeited if we are unable to fill the spot with a waiting list camper.
Is Financial Aid Available?
Yes! Please click here for more information about Financial Aid.
Where and When is Girls Rock Camp Madison?
All camps will be held from 9 am to 2:45 pm at the Westminster Presbyterian Church located at 4100 Nakoma Rd in Madison. The dates for camps summer 2021 are listed below:
GRC 2021 Camp Dates–Sign up for our Mailing list for Registration updates-NOTE CHANGES TO ENROLLMENT Ages
Session 1: July 12-16, 2021 In-Person Girls Rock Camp all ages
Session 2: July 26-30, 2021 In-Person Camp for campers GOING INTO 7th Grade – 18
Session 3: Aug 9-13, 2021 In-Person Camp for campers 8 years old through 6th Grade
2021 Update-Before care will not be offered. After care will be offered for Sessions 1 and 3 for $10 per camper. Pick up will be at 5:00 PM. These fees are non refundable and must be paid in advance. FINANCIAL AID IS AVAILABLE FOR BEFORE AND AFTER CARE. Please contact Beth Dohrn for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campers and Parents/Guardians must register for camp. Campers and Parents/Guardians will be notified with a registration confirmation email and information packet about the camp session.
Campers on the waiting list will be notified as soon as a space becomes available.
Where are the showcases?
2021 Showcases will be held at Westminster Presbyterian Church the Saturday morning of camp week. Campers will be limited to two adults to attend showcases. The showcases will be recorded for streaming.
In Session 2, girls going into 7th grade through high school (including girls who graduate in May 2021), will have a chance to delve deeply into the creative musical process with advanced instrument & ensemble instruction, advanced songwriting instruction, music theory and band practice with band mates.
The camp will provide instruments and equipment during camp hours for Bass, Drums, Guitar, Keyboard & Vocals. If you have an instrument at home that you would prefer to play, by all means, bring it along!
NO DJ PROGRAM OFFERED 2021
D.J. PROGRAM AT SESSION 2
Another “back by popular demand” session 2 option is our Club DJ program. We have space for two campers (accepted on a first come first served basis, no experience necessary) to learn what it takes to be a club/party DJ. They will learn beat matching and mixing skills using songs they already know and love!
In order to apply for Session TWO on an instrument or vocals, the following two requirements must be met:
- The camper has received a recommendation from a GRC staff member on a specific instrument
the camper has attended camp previously and is knowledgeable about their instrument
the camper submits a video audition. See below for video submission rule
OR the camper has attended previous camps and is approved.
The camper must play her chosen instrument on a regular basis throughout the year (in a band, in school, private ongoing lessons, self-motivated individual practice, etc.)
GRC Madison is organized and led by a group of musicians, performers and teachers from the Madison area. Visit the Instructors page to view all dedicated staff members. Lead staff includes:
In addition to GRC Madison’s camp leaders, we also employ:
- Instrument Instructors: Teach bass, guitar, drums, keyboard and vocals (we also employ a violin and a Club DJ instructor)
- Band Coaches: Assist campers with the songwriting process while in their band rehearsal. There are 2 band coaches for every band (bands are comprised of 5 campers)
- Band Managers: Supervise campers (1 staff for every 5 campers) and serves as a go-to person for campers if they need help during the week
- Girl Power Coach: This is a position for a person with advanced skills in child psychology or development who can support campers in emotional crisis and outline and enforce behavioral policy as needed.
- Gear Manager: We are outfitted to provide instruments and amplification needs for all of our campers. Our gear manager oversees all this gear and maintains it.
- Breakout Session Instructors: In addition to musical programming, we also provide opportunities for our campers to do artistic projects like t-shirt design, hip hop dance, self-esteem workshops etc by employing staff to teach “breakout sessions.”
Strict CDC Guidelines are in place. The Camp is NOT open to the public. Everyone involved in the camp is thoroughly interviewed with background checks and must be wearing an ID badge at all times. The Showcase allows TWO adults per camper due to CDC restrictions!